Tuesday, November 15, 2011

That Makes My Butt Go Numb

There are certain things about each person that make them who they are and are the things that are missed the most when they are gone. One of the things I miss the most about Kirsten is the funny way she had with words.

Some of the expressions she used didn’t seem to fit the situation at all and were just silly, like “architecturally diverse,” but others were really quite clever. And it was the fact that the expressions weren’t quite right which made them so endearing and so Kirsten. Anyone can say them right…it takes a different kind of mind to come up with new ones.

Once when she wanted me to get something from her room, she told me it was on the "passenger side" of her bed. I understood immediately that she meant the side of her queen size bed that she didn’t sleep on. A different way of putting it, yes, but it did make sense. If she had a headache, she said it "felt like she had a bowling ball in her head."

And if something was really painful looking, like the Joe Theisman leg injury, the one that broke his leg visibly between the knee and the ankle and gave most people the “heebie jeebies” or the “willies”, she was the only person I know who would say it made her “butt go numb.”  I feel ya, Kirsten.

Another time she felt nauseous, and she asked me if I knew what she meant when she said that “the inside of her mouth had started sweating.” Well, yes… actually, I did. I had just never heard anyone put it that way before and probably never will again. She had a unique way of looking at things which was hers, and hers alone.

                “The pain that is felt at the death of every friendly soul arises from the feeling that there is in every individual something which is inexpressible, peculiar to him alone, and is, therefore, absolutely and irretrievably lost.”
                                                                           ~Arthur Schopenhauer

                                                                                                     Kirsten 2010
                                                                                                    We miss you <3


1 comment:

  1. Oh Annika,
    This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing something so personal. My heart aches for you and your family. Thank you for making me appreciate every little thing I get to do for my two. Your in my thoughts and prayers and I'm sure we'll be seeing you wearing those pearls more often. I believe in signs:)
    Blessings,
    Jackie Felton

    ReplyDelete